Introduction to Masonry Materials, Standards, Structural and Veneer Cladding Details
SEABC Evening Seminar
This seminar will present application of masonry in buildings, introduces the Canadian masonry standards, and highlight best practices for construction of masonry elements in buildings. Topic that will be covered include:
- Overview of masonry products like as concrete masonry units, clay brick, mortar, grout, reinforcement and construction of masonry projects.
- Introduction to CSA masonry standards of A82, A165, A179, A370, A371, S304.1.
- New rainscreen masonry walls and related topics like as membranes, insulation, flashings, weep holes, support angles, movement joints, caulking, brick ties, coatings, sills, and lintels.
- MIBC on-line technical manual and online "MIBC structural and veneer cladding details".
- Brief discussion of construction issues with examples of problems and solutions that the speaker has encountered in dealing with these needs.
This introductory presentation will be helpful for structural engineers, building envelope experts, architects and engineering students and is a cornerstone for the detailed design of masonry.
Masonry Institute of British Columbia is an AIBC recognized educational provider and this presentation offers 1.5h AIBC core learning unit credits.
Farshid Borjian, M.A.Sc., P.Eng., P.E., C.Eng., MIStructE., Struct.Eng.
Executive Director of Masonry Institute of BC
Thursday, June 6
Refreshments 6:00 pm, Presentation 6:30 pm
Manteo Resort Waterfront Hotel & Villas, 3762 Lakeshore Rd, Kelowna, BC
$20 for SEABC Members
$25 for AIBC Members and other guests
Registration closes on June 1.
Past SEABC Events
The SEABC Events Archive contains video recordings and downloads for past seminars.